By David C. Fowler,J. A. Burrow,Michael C. Seymour
Read or Download Authors of the Middle Ages. Volume I, Nos 1–4: English Writers of the Late Middle Ages PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
The Greek novel occupies a distinct position within the debate on gender in antiquity, forcing us to invite why the feminine protagonists are such powerful and confident characters. This booklet rejects the speculation of a principally lady readership, and in addition sees an issue in ascribing this development to the mirrored image of a blanket development within the prestige of ladies.
Selected as one of many ten canonical performs by means of Euripides in the course of the Hellenistic interval in Greece, Hecuba was once renowned all through Antiquity. The play additionally grew to become a part of the so-called 'Byzantine triad' of 3 performs of Euripides (along with Phoenician girls and Orestes) chosen for examine in class curricula, certainly for the brilliance of its rhetorical speeches and quotable conventional knowledge.
Following Zwingli explores historical past, scholarship, and reminiscence in Reformation Zurich. The humanist tradition of this urban used to be formed by means of a striking sodality of students, lots of whom were linked to Erasmus. In making a new Christian order, Zwingli and his colleagues sought biblical, ancient, literary, and political versions to form and shield their radical reforms.
The Holy Grail has intrigued and encouraged numerous readers over the centuries because it first seemed in Chrétien's Perceval. basically the tale of the making of a knight, either in worldlyand religious phrases, it's also the resource of a few of the main dramatic and mysterious adventures of romance.
- The Poetics of Consent
- Homer the Theologian: Neoplatonist Allegorical Reading and the Growth of the Epic Tradition (Transformation of the Classical Heritage)
- Studies on the Text of Macrobius' Saturnalia (American Philological Association American Classical Studies)
- Antiquarian Voices: The Roman Academy and the Commentary Tradition on Ovid's Fasti (Text and Context)
- Aglaia: The Poetry of Alcman, Sappho, Pindar, Bacchylides, and Corinna (Greek Studies: Interdisciplinary Approaches)
- Manuscript Sources of Medieval Medicine: A Book of Essays (Medieval Casebooks Series)
Extra resources for Authors of the Middle Ages. Volume I, Nos 1–4: English Writers of the Late Middle Ages
Authors of the Middle Ages. Volume I, Nos 1–4: English Writers of the Late Middle Ages by David C. Fowler,J. A. Burrow,Michael C. Seymour